I’ve now had the new HTC Desire S for about a week. My previous phone was the original HTC Desire. Lots of people have asked me whether it’s better, what changes have been made etc. So I thought I’d write a blog post about it.
In summary : I am very pleased with the HTC Desire S. The original Desire was a good phone mostly, but the new Desire S is basically a bit better in almost every way.
The important stuff :
- More onboard storage
- More RAM
- Quicker GPU
- Newer Android (2.3.something)
- Increased (+50mAh) battery, plus slightly more efficient power usage; does appear to have better battery life in my usage.
- Sense/touch interface ‘feels’ slightly improved/more accurate.
The trivial stuff :
- Front mounted camera. “Wow, I can use my £300 phone as a £1 mirror. Isn’t technology wonderful?”
- Slightly smaller, slightly lighter.
- Nicer looking. Actually I think it may also be more robust for the redesign, which is not “trivial”.
So yep. In conclusion this is not one of those upgrades I am regretting. I guess it’s just a ‘finessed’ version of the original Desire, but all the small tweaks and improvements do add up to quite a big improvement in total.
That’s my 2p.